The classic laptop bag is a much needed accessory that has both practical and visual benefits. After you’ve made the significant investment of purchasing a laptop, it’s important to do everything you can to protect it and promote its longevity. Thinking of the bag as insurance for your computer will allow you to truly appreciate the importance of purchasing a laptop bag that is sturdy, long-lasting and protective.
Before purchasing a laptop bag, there are some things to consider. Laptop bags come in a variety of designs to suit a variety of needs, both for those who prefer hand-held sleeves or messenger bags, as well as backpacks and over the shoulder totes. You should think of your purpose and buy a bag that suits your needs. For example, is the bag going to be used for work, pleasure, or ba variety of the two? Individuals are increasingly carrying their laptops with them nearly everywhere they go. A casual bag, suitable and styled for both work and pleasure, is a good option for most people.
So, how do you go about choosing the laptop bag that is right for you? Here are some factors you should think about before you buy:
While this may sound obvious, the bag needs to fit your laptop. If the laptop bag doesn’t specify exactly what makes or models of laptops it works for, it’s a good idea to measure your laptop and compare it to the size of the bag, to ensure you’re making the right choice.
Ideally, have the laptop with you when you purchase the bag to see if it fits well. Buying a laptop bag that’s a comfortable fit for your laptop is imperative, as you don’t want to be spending minutes everyday shoving and wriggling your computer into your bag.
Work or pleasure?
If you solely use your laptop for work, then you’ll likely need something resilient and practical that can be carried to and from work with ease. If you catch public transport, the bag may need extra padding for those times you get knocked around on the bus or train during peak hour.
If you ride a bike or motorcycle, a backpack style laptop bag is the best option. If you walk, consider a bag that is waterproof for those rainy days, and one that won’t strain your back and shoulders. A backpack style bag is again a good option here.
It’s essential that your bag has pockets and separate compartments for your other accessories, such as USBs, notebooks, cords, batteries and your mouse. This will protect your laptop from bumps and scratches, as well as protecting your other items from being damaged by the weight of the laptop.
A laptop sleeve is only a good idea if you have the laptop itself and nothing else to carry, unless you intend on placing the laptop in a sleeve and then into a backpack.
Making sure the bag is good quality
- Durable fabric is a must. Your laptop is something you use everyday, and the bag is there to protect your computer. You want to ensure the fabric is both lightweight and durable. Plastic casing is also available, for those who prefer a hard top and extra coverage.
- Quality zips are critical for keeping your laptop safely locked in the bag. You want them to last for years, as a broken zipper will deem the entire bag useless.
- Extra padding on the bag itself, and particularly the shoulder strap, is ideal, so that both the laptop and your spine is protected. Some laptops are quite weighty, and you don’t want the bag to cut into your shoulder when you’re carrying it.
- Adjustable straps can help customise the design to better fit your body, as well as keeping the bag as ergonomic as possible for when you’re on your way to meetings or on the train and bus.
- Waterproof lining is critical to ensure your laptop stays safe in all weather conditions. You don’t want to end up with a wet laptop!
- Scratch resistant compartments are necessary if you also want to carry an iPad or tablet in your laptop bag.
Representing your personal style
Some people are concerned only with the practicality of a laptop bag. For others, it’s an extension of their personal style, and an accessory in itself. Think about whether you prefer the casual look, or the slimline executive look. Remember, you’ll be carrying your laptop bag for most days of the week, so make sure you love the design and the way it looks on you.
While your laptop bag protects your computer, you want to protect the bag itself as well Choose one that comes with a warranty, so that you can return it and receive a new one if it breaks due to factors other than general wear and tear.
Carefully choosing a laptop bag for your work day
There are a number of factors to take into account when choosing a laptop bag, such as aesthetic style, practicality, and whether it’s right for your computer. Make sure it’s one that you enjoy wearing and that does it’s job correctly!